Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday Words--Turkey in Disguise

Considering the books I read to my class each November, it's a wonder any of them actually sit down to a plateful of turkey on Thanksgiving! No worries, though, they're still counting the days until they can savor mom's home roasted turkey goodness!

So far we've worked our way through:
[Click on the covers for more information about each book.]


We've seen turkeys disguised as snowmen, children, art models, Hollywood agents, and pizza delivery boys. Maybe I missed something, but I thought turkeys were rather dimwitted creatures. Oh well, let's not be bothered by fact--it's time for some fun!

Apparently there's a well established tradition of having children disguise a (paper) turkey as a Thanksgiving art project. I'm sad I've been missing out on this! Lynne shared these pictures from her class.


The kids made a disguise for their bird and then wrote: "Turkey? What Turkey? I'm not a turkey, I'm a ______. Maybe you should look at a _______."

So cute! I love the turkey gnome!

If you're looking for more turkey inspiration, check out this site. (Scroll down.) There's even a turkey rodeo queen!


Littlegiraffes.com suggests a prompt for some undercover turkey writing.

This is a patterned writing activity for practicing nouns, verbs, describing words, and quotation marks. Each turkey disguises itself as another animal to fool the farmer. Make three columns on the board: Animal Names, Animal Actions, and Animal Sounds. Then brainstorm ideas.
This is an example:
I could be a ________. (pig)
I could ________. (roll in the mud)
" _____, ______," said the turkey (oink oink)
"Oh!" said the farmer, "It must be a ______!" (pig)
You can even toss in the song Five Fat Turkeys Are We.



I can't wait to try this out with my little turkeys! This guy is just begging for a new look, don't you think? You can download the .pdf from teachers.net.


But if your Thanksgiving disguise need run the other way, Designs With Heart has a pattern for making a turkey mask. If you try it out, just make sure to keep your running shoes on!


6 comments:

  1. One of my co-workers always does a similar activity and then she post them in the hall. It is always so fun to view all the different creative ideas the children come up with. :) joyce,visiting from waddleeahchaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project! I do it every year. I send it home as a family project. They get so creative and they love it! I also have them do the writing part. This year I got a big foot and it is so adorable. I will have so show you some of the pictures of some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, we'd love to see them! Send us some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I forgot to tell you...that first pic with the green thing that looks like a headband and the belt that looks like a heavyweight wrestling champ belt? Yeah. That's Michael Jackson. True story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Jackson??!! Bwhahhahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying to decide on some Thanksgiving books to purchase for our holiday "collection". You've mentioned some great turkey books!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit us at secondstorywindow.net

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.